Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Faith

What does the word "faith" really mean? I was talking with my friend Cathryn last week about this little word called "faith". Webster's Dictionary defines "faith" as allegiance to duty or a person (i.e. loyalty); as fidelity to one's promises; sincerity of intentions; a belief and trust in and loyalty to God; belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion; firm belief in something for which there is no proof; complete trust. Those definitions can be a lot to digest and take on several different meanings.

For me, I have complete trust in GOD. It is a beautiful mystery. I once heard in a movie where someone was describing their faith and compared it to the wind. You can't see wind but you can feel it. I can't see GOD but I can feel him, His presence in my life, I can see Him everyday when I step outside. I have faith!

But what about faith in others?? Definitions like "compete trust" and "sincerity of intentions" is a tall order for some people. And let's face it, we've all come across those individuals. People you have trusted/had faith in, friends...maybe lovers or spouses... people that you felt were genuine and sincere but they let you down, break promises, and are unfaithful thus causing damage to your own faith. I personally would say that I am a trusting person. I will trust most people until they give me cause not to and even sometimes that trust can be restored. But sometimes I find that it may be easier to not put so much faith in others...call it an act of self preservation. Why does there have to be risk in relationships? In the investment world, they say greater the risk, greater the return. Perhaps this is true in relationships as well.

So as I continue to ponder "faith"...Do you think the risk is worth taking?

No comments: