Friday, September 28, 2007

A Strong Resolve

Do you ever feel like there are forces "bigger than you" that try to hold you back? The question of whether these forces are good or evil remains to be seen but I'm talking about when you set out to accomplish a goal and just when you think the goal is accomplished...BAMM...a setback occurs.

You all know that I enjoy running (I know, it's a crazy thing to enjoy) and back in the spring I set out to train and complete the Country Music Half Marathon here in Nashville. Training for me is following a detailed 12 week (that's 3 long months) schedule of running, running, stretching, running and you guessed it, more running! It takes dedication and discipline to adjust your schedule to make the time for all this running but the accomplishment of crossing that finish line & having the endurance to do so is worth it. I was only 3 weeks away from this race when POW...I was so sick I found myself in the ER with the "stomach flu". The "stomach flu" turned into some mysterious illness that lasted about 5 weeks thus forcing me to miss the Half Marathon and deal with the disappointment and frustration over a failed goal.

Once I felt back to normal, I hit the treadmill as fast and furious as possible and got back into a running routine. I was determined to run a Half Marathon by the years end and what better one to do than in my own hometown. By the end of July, I started back with the same 12 week training schedule and have been plugging along ever since...nothing but smooth sailing that was until this week. First the tumble in a stairwell and then today I wake up with this stupid head cold. Germs have been flying around this office and despite my attempts with hand sanitizer, I woke up to sneezing, running nose, congestion and headache. You have got to be kidding me?? Tomorrow is my last long run (a 15k/9.3 mile run) before the Evansville Half Marathon which is in 9 days. My foot is feeling better just a little sore and I can suck it up and run through the pain but not being able to breathe...that's a much bigger obstacle.

Is something in the universe telling me that yet again I will miss another race or is it just trying to tests my determination? Well I tell you this, my resolve is strong and I will cross that finish line! (even if i have to pull an oxygen tank with me)

No comments: