Thursday, September 27, 2007

Taking a Tumble...

I guess I was way overdue for doing something totally clumsy but now I think I have paid my dues. On Tuesday afternoon I went running down the stair well at work trying to beat the rain from flooding my car as I had left my windows cracked at lunch. All was going accordingly to plan until the last 3 or 4 stairs as I somehow slipped out of my heels, missed a step and started to fall. I would have ended up face flat at the bottom of the stair well had it not been for my quick reflexes and grabbing the metal handrails on both sides of me. When i landed on solid ground, uprightly I might add, the only immediate damage was a broken fingernail and that twinge of my pride even though there were no witnesses. Whew!
It wasn't until about mile 3 of my 6 mile run later that night, that I noticed the slightest twinge in my right foot. And as I continued to run, the twinge became more of an uncomfortable pain that slowly crept up to my knee. By the time I was finished I was mostly limping. It wasn't until I got home and took off my shoe and sock that I realized the brevity of my stairwell plunge. My right foot (arch and top of foot) was bruising and swollen. "That's just great...my half marathon is in 10 days...You have to be joking." Common sense would tell you that I probably shouldn't have been running but I promise there were no symptoms pre-run. So like any "athlete" would do, I iced it down, elevated, took Ibuprofen and lathered my foot with BioFreeze(deep muscle pain relief gel) . Despite the fact that I should have run yesterday, I gave my foot a day of rest and thankfully I think I'm on the mend. My foot is still incredible sore but it won't be enough to take me out of the race. My resolve is much stronger than that and I will cross that finish line on Sunday, October the 7th.
I

2 comments:

cathryn said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend! Seriously, it would be bordering on tragic if something were to prevent you from running the half-marathon. Gotta watch out for those treacherous stairs! Maybe we can put you in a big plastic bubble for the next 10 days just to be on the safe side :)

Jen said...

Oh - I hate to hear that - but I'm glad you weren't hurt too much and that you're resting. And I agree with Cathryn - 'bubble girl' has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?