Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hump Day & Update

I've always wondered why Wednesday was called "Hump Day"....so I did a little online investigation and I absolutely loved this definition that I found at http://www.urbandictionary.com/ . I've listed it below:

Wednesday, or the hump of the week
The absolute BEST day of the week, the day of maximum hope that maybe, you might make it out of this week alive. A particularly good hump day can last you the rest of the week, and by Doomday morning (Monday) you survive by anticipating hump day. Nothing goes wrong on hump day

This week has been fairly uneventful and I am enjoying the quiet before my boss and her husband return next week. It will definitely be "Doomday" Monday when they return and I buckle back up for another crazy busy 4 weeks before they leave again on August 7th.
I had mentioned vaguely that I was dealing with some health issues...but things are starting to get better. When I was 25, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism...while it's completely manageable by a daily regimen of thyroid replacement drugs, it can still tinker with my metabolism, energy level (for me bouts of extreme fatigue), etc. It's been regulated for a while but I was starting to feel "off" again...sluggish and noticed that weight gain had occurred despite workout efforts...back in April. So I sought out Dr. B (the best doctor in the US...in my opinion) for guidance. The scale confirmed a gain of 20 lbs and she ordered bloodwork. Results led to an increase dosage in my thyroid meds. Three weeks later, I was feeling better energy wise but still stuck with the 20 lbs. Dr. B prescribed me another drug to help jump-start my metabolism along with instructions to workout and eat right. I heeded to her advice, managed to not experience any crazy side effects and had my monthly weigh in today...10 lbs dropped (doing the happy dance). I am holding up my end of the deal by working out 5 days a week (also started training this week for another half marathon in October) and trying to eat better and eating fast food less. Clearly, it's working and it definitely helps me feel better on many levels. I'm feeling very motivated these days and am determined to work hard to lose another 10 lbs by next follow-up on August 6th. Fingers crossed!

No comments: