Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kitchen Kraziness

I'll admit it....whenever i step into a kitchen it's nothing but craziness.  I use the sink and manage to get water everywhere...anytime I have to get into flour/sugar or any other substance similar in nature, it's on every counter top appliance and sometimes even ends up in my hair (don't ask).  Sharing this knowledge you would ask "why" would I ever think that I could possibly manage multi-tasking when it comes to the kitchen.  Perhaps I have disillusioned myself into believing that because I am such a good multi-tasker with work that this would be the same case in other areas of my life. Clearly, I have fooled myself.

Last night I was talking to a friend on my way home from the gym.  I hadn't been able to connect with her in a while so I wanted to know what was going in her life.  I was also starving and knew that the window to make dinner was quickly coming to an end so I knew what I needed to do.  Talk on the phone WHILE making dinner.  If I stuck with my usual post-gym dinner of a bowl of cereal then all would have been fine. However, I decided that I would make pancakes.  I know it's crazy but I grew up in a family where you had breakfast for dinner almost every other week so pancakes sounded like the perfect option for dinner.  Thanks to my friend Ruthann, I have found a great whole wheat mix from Trader Joe's that makes delicious pancakes.  Yet, I am no family of four so I have to take their pancake recipe and halve all the ingredients.  So I halve the ingredients (or at least i thought I had) and continue on with my phone conversation to my friend.  I mix the eggs, whole wheat mix, milk and oil and whip it good.  My skillet is heated and ready to go and my mix appears to be thoroughly beat into submission.  I end the phone conversation with my friend because at least I have some sense to not attempt to cook while talking on the phone but it was too late. I pour my pancake batter into the skillet and notice quickly that it's rather liquidity.  I am perplexed at this but it still seems to be cooking up. The pancake flip was rather tricky as it wasn't cooking correctly but I still managed to get 5 pancakes out of this mix.  It wasn't until I took a bit that I quickly began to put together the puzzle of my pancake debacle.  With the strong taste of egg in my first bit, I quickly realized that while talking on the phone I had halved all the ingredients EXCEPT the eggs.  It tasted more like eggy-toast than a pancake but with a little syrup it wasn't that bad.  I only ate two and threw out the rest.

I learned my lesson!  So when I mustered up enough courage to enter the kitchen tonight to make Zucchini Bread I knew what had to be done....I left my phone up in my room :)

No comments: