Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Change O' Plans and a Tire

Well last night did NOT go according to plan....typical! The plan was to drive to Cathryn's house and then we would ride together to "Legends & Lyrics". However, I clearly didn't see the curb coming up the hill to Cathryn's condo and promptly busted (or perhaps a better word to use would be slashed) my front passenger-side tire. As soon as I parked the car and got out, I heard that lovely "ssssss" sound of air escaping my tire and knew that I had done a good job. Not to worry, since I have AAA, let's just go to the show.

So we headed downtown and took our place in the snake-shape sort of line of other general admission participants...the time was 7 pm (doors open at 7 pm, show starts at 8pm). Cathryn and I enjoy conversation and good people watching and watch the minutes tick tock on. We go through production assistants, producers, security guards telling us that it will be another 15-20 minutes before we are shown to our seats. Excuses of delayed sound checks, technical difficulties and missing band members are thrown out. It's now 9:15 and we get the latest "sound check" excuse...my back hurts, our feet are on fire from standing on marble floors in heels for over 2 hours, and we call it. Not too mention, that if we did stay and get to the show, we commit to being locked in for 2 hours which would then put us out after midnight and let's face it....we don't have the luxury of skipping work the next day. So much for audience variety because I guarantee the crowd will look like a college classroom.

As soon as we get back to the car, I place my service call to AAA for them to come change/fix my tire and the timing was perfect because they arrived as soon as we got back to Cathryn's house. The service man was prepared to fix the tire but realized that my "slash" was not really fixable. He put on the spare time and gave me my cautious warning about driving home and to try and avoid the curbs. Very funny!! Thankfully, there is a Firestone store right by my house so first thing this morning, I promptly took my vehicle in and purchased my new tire.

Nothing like a new tire for a new day!

1 comment:

cathryn said...

Even though our well-laid plans went awry, it was still a fun evening! (I know...clearly I need to get out more.) :)