Saturday, July 5, 2008

5k's, Fireworks and Family, Oh my....

We had a family reunion of sorts planned for the Fourth of July Holiday weekend back in Indiana. All of my mom's side of the family were back in Evansville for the long weekend which meant lots of family fun (aka organized chaos). Fourth of July morning started off with a bang as my dad and I drove to the small town of Sebree, KY and participated in their 5k Firecracker Run. I haven't been running more than one day a week (not good) but was able to finish with a time of 31:02 and my dad ran with a time in the 27 min range...he has always been a good runner! My dad said that we should hang around since they were doing random drawings for cash prizes in increments of $25, $50, $75 and $100. Good thing we did because they drew my name out of the hat for the grand prize of $100. YIPPEE! We both wore our race shirts for the rest of the day family festivities.
We got back home around 11:30 to find out that we had about 30 minutes to get ready before heading out to my Uncle Jeff and Aunt Tammy's home for the family day o' fun. We got cleaned up and headed out to the country. Their home is like my second home and I love that it's so quiet out where they live. We had quite the spread for lunch and a pool to keep all the kids busy. Some of my cousins and 2nd cousins literally swam all day long. Me, well I preferred to watch baseball, take a nap (thanks to Amy for snapping the picture), eating dessert and watching more baseball. We also had some family game time outside with water balloon tosses and a washer tournament. Here's some pics:
Swimming Cousins

A beautiful action shot of my mom playing washers
Nap time

Grandma and Me enjoying the porch swing

The family crowd enjoying the fireworks

It's been so nice to have all the family in for the weekend and I have enjoyed getting to spend time with my cousin Michelle. We are only three months apart (she is older, HA) and really grew up more like sisters than cousins. I love being able to spend time with her and her family.

1 comment:

RU said...

Looks like a great time with family- certainly more fun than what we did - I took a take home test all day Saturday!
Great job on the run and keep it up- you look great, friend!
miss you-ru