Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday Tourism

It was definitely a long weekend...thanks to the Labor Day on Monday and I spent most of it with my family. Originally my parents were going to head to FL to spend the long weekend with Amy, but the threat of Hurricane Gustav brought everyone to Nashville instead. Amy drove up from FL and arrived late on Friday night and then my parents and Elaysha arrived on Saturday morning. My parents wanted to do some sightseeing this time so we all headed to the Country Music Hall of Fame. I had not been in like 6 years and with a love & appreciation for music in general, it's always a fascinating place to visit. Lucky for us, we arrived just in time to catch the singer/songwriter showcase featuring Gary Harrison. The name might not sound familiar but as I began to read through his list of recorded hits I knew this guy had talent. He's written songs recorded by the likes of George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Garth Brooks, Martina McBride and probably my favorite song "Strawberry Wine" recorded by Deana Carter. The session was about 45 minutes and he played some of his hits and answered questions from the audience. We then spent about 2 hours walking through the hall of fame. You really could spend a good amount of time as there is lots to see and read about. It was about 2 o'clock and we were all starving so we headed over to Green Hills and ate at Cheeseburger Charleys and then ventured to the Green Hills Mall.

The family at the Country Music Hall of Fame

Amy posing with pics of Country Music Legends


Singer/Songwriter Gary Harrison


Me and Elaysha at the CMHF


Before you knew it the shopping was over and Amy and I had to rush to get ready to meet up with my friends Heather & Jill in Franklin for Jazzfest. We met up with them for dinner at "Pie in the Sky" for dinner (yummy pizza place) and then headed down to Jazzfest in downtown Franklin. I don't know that I necessarily had high expectations for this fest but it was so sticking hot and muggy that it was not so enjoyable not to mention that the main act that was supposed to start at 8:30 didn't start till after 9:00 and they could only play till 10 pm because of city ordinances. That was fine by me because it was not really the type of jazz I liked and it was so miserable outside that I was ready to go anyways.

No comments: