Thursday, January 22, 2009

Live from New York...

Greetings from New York City! I am so thrilled to be in the city and hanging out with my friend Ruthann. The city has been everything I expected it to be beginning with the cab ride from LaGuardia Airport to Ruthann and Matt's home in Queens. We all know that I have "on-star" abilities but I am clueless when it comes to trying to navigate around this city! Thank goodness I have Ruthann who knows where she is going.

Ruthann and Matt have a great building that includes a gym so we took advantage of this first thing this morning. The view from my treadmill where I got in a 3 mile run overlooked the Hudson River right into Manhattan. I could see the Empire States Building and Chrysler Building in the skyline. After a good workout, we got ready and headed into the city via Subway. Once again, I am so glad that Ruthann knows where we are going! It was funny to have such anticipation while walking up the stairs from the Subway when we actually got into Midtown. We came out around 59th and Lexington into a great shopping area. We walked around for a little while and did a little shopping at Zara, a store Ruthann recommended and it did not disappoint.
From there we headed to Dylan's Candy Bar and it was just that...a bar that had every possible type of candy ever. It was SWEET! I bought some...you guessed it...candy and we took some pictures. Here is Ruthann and I in the staircase which you can see that candy was in the flooring. So cool!

Right down the street from there was the ever infamous Serendipity. The movie is one of my favorite NYC movies next to "You've Got Mail" and it was so fun to be able to go in and have the experience.

After a little break at Serendipity, we walked back over to the grandiose shopping areas of 5th Avenue, Park Avenue and Madison Avenue. Oooh to see all the designer stores and I mean every designer you can possibly imagine....Prada, Gucci, YSL, Dior, Escada....and the list could go on forever. Of course, I didn't go into any of these stores...my heart and wallet wouldn't be able to make it out alive! We then walked back over to Park Avenue to check out this Chocolatier called Pierre Marcolini. It did not disappoint. From there we made our way over to Times Square, via the Subway and took plenty of pics.



We hung out around Times Square and then made our walk over to 45th and 9th for dinner at Marseille. We made our reservation for 5:30 because we had tickets to see "Wicked" at 8:00 pm. I was excited to eat at a nice restaurant in NYC and also excited because Ruthann had never been to this place either. It was a new experience for the both of us and it did NOT disappoint. The ambiance of the restaurant is what I expected from NYC and the menu had great options. I enjoyed the Grilled Lamp Top Sirloin with merguez, apple and goat's cheese crepe, brussel sprouts & quince vinaigrette. Ruthann had the Cous Cous with braised Lamb with krefta and merguez with a sweet and spicy onion sauce. The presentation was superb and the food was delicious. My lamb was grilled to perfection and Ruthann's Cous Cous was probably the best cous cous I have ever had. It was a great dinner and I enjoyed getting to talk with my friend. We timed finishing dinner just right and then walked over to the Gershwin Theatre for "Wicked". Thanks to my boss who purchased our tickets (and we were in the Orchestra section, left of center stage) it was the best Broadway experience ever. You could see the faces of the actors/actresses and the music was phenomenal. It was the best way to end the first day of being in NYC!



No comments: