Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stepping UP

So tonight after work, Jen and I met at one of my favorite parks in Nashville called Percy Warner Park. It's a popular haven for the many cyclist/runners/outdoor enthusiasts that live in Nashville. Percy Warner Park sits at the south end of Belle Meade Boulevard (a popular running/cycling boulevard that is about a 5.25 mile loop). The park is known for it's wonderful yet extremely hilly landscape and many hiking levels of trails. One of my favorite things to do is to climb the old stone stairs that are carved up the side of the hill as you enter the park. In case you wanted to know, there are a 135 stairs to climb (yes, I counted them on a recent outing out of curiosity). Jen and I have a routine with these outings where we walk a rather hilly loop around the stairs to warm up and then climb them several times, coming down on a different path each time. All in all, it's about a good hours workout and that includes the warm-up loop and 3 separate stair climbing "adventures". We climb the stairs at a slow and steady pace but it never ceases to blow my mind, when I see others running up & down the 135 stairs. They must be crazy or have extremely healthy knees.

I have introduced these infamous "stairs" to several out of town visitors. The stairs don't always get the best wrap but there is something very gratifying in reaching the top, no matter how hard it is to breathe when you get there. It's a great way to get in a good workout, outside of the gym. Here is a picture for the top of the stairs. It doesn't quite give you the full picture of how high you climb, but I love the view from the top!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I for one can attest the to the gratifying feeling at reaching the top. The feeling might just be relief at the thought that I'm still alive and an ambulance hasn't been summoned to my aid. :) And of course there's the feeling that I'm a complete idiot while those other 'insane' people are running those same stairs I crawled up. :) But I loved it!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.