Friday, August 31, 2007

The "Side Hug"...Friend or Foe?

So I find myself a little perplexed by the exchange of "side hugs"...you know that half way, side to side, awkward "hug" usually exchanged between individuals that aren't quite sure that a full hug would be either appropriate or appreciated. I mean, what's the big deal about giving a hug? Maybe some are not comfortable with the close proximity or touch of another....maybe some people think a hug might imply certain feelings towards the other person. Personally, I don't go around hugging just anybody but I'd rather give and receive a full embrace than some lame "side hug". Any thoughts or comments?

3 comments:

cathryn said...

Ahh, nothing says ambivalence like the "side-hug" or the "half-hug". It seems to occur when either party feels that a handshake would be too impersonal but isn't confident that a full-on hug would be welcome or appropriate. I, myself have been known to initiate the "side-hug" on occasion. It's safer, ya know? :)

Brandi said...

Yes, I was involved in a side-hug impact this past weekend. It was with our house church leader, and it was kind of a "I think he's coming in for a hug...is he going to hug me or just pat me on the should...yup, he was coming in for a hug." And before I knew it, we hit heads. We haven't known each other for that long, so I didn't know if they were the huggy type. Alas, the goodbye hug when we left the park went much smoother. ;-) I always felt the side-hug was kind of a hug w/o the committment of a full-on hug.

Glad to see you jumped on the blog wagon! Feel free to jog on over to mine if you have time! http://www.dakuipers.com/flakesofbran

Suzanne said...

Hilarious! I just had a guy chide me, because he was going in for a 3/4 hug (What?!) and I downgraded it to a side hug. I would have been fine with a regular hug, but it seemed he was initiating a side hug. One time, my dad teased me, because a boy I liked had given me a side hug. "It's a Suz-sidal," he quipped. :)