Friday, October 5, 2007

On Your Mark...Get Set...GO...

Well this is it....the big weekend that will end with a bang on Sunday morning as my dad and I participate in the 4th Annual Evansville Half Marathon. I am excited, I feel good and am ready to run. AND I love any opportunity to be home and see my family.

I was looking through some scripture this morning as I was trying to remember what passage the line "let us run the race with patience..." came from when I came across another passage that struck me:

"I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." I Cor. 9:23-25 NIV

Of course it had the analogy of running a race but what struck me was the motivating factor. Sure, I have done my training and will run to receive a finisher's medal at the end. My motivation is to cross the finish line and receive a medal. The medal will be great and I will bask in the pride of my accomplishments and show it off to others. But where will my medal be this time next year? I would probably guess in one of my storage boxes along with old letters and photos.

What motivates me in life...do I live my life to please others? Do I live for temporary/material "wealth" OR do I live a life that is pleasing to GOD? Is it a life that truly gives Him Glory?

I would hope and pray that when all is said and done and the final race is run, that my "medal" will be an Eternal one!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good luck tomorrow! I'm praying for you!