Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Self-Defense

Nope, I am not talking about a karate class but some time spent at a shooting range. When I was home for the holidays, my dad took Amy and I to a local indoor shooting range. This is something I have been wanting to do mainly because I've been giving serious thought to having some protection in my home and that would require knowing how to use it. Dad brought the equipment and we got all the necessary safety items at the range. My first thought was how loud it was, even with ear protection and I was definitely nervous. I do not take holding a gun in my hands very lightly. My dad went through all the basics including safety, loading, etc. and I made Amy go first. She did great her first round but I was actually lucky just to hit the target...mostly because I was having trouble with the sight view. Second time around...I nailed the target exactly where I wanted. We spent about a half hour taking turns and by the end I definitely felt comfortable and somewhat empowered. I pray, of course, that I never EVER find myself in a situation where I would actually have to draw a gun on someone, but at least I now know how use one.

Amy practices shooting at the target

Now it's my turn....watch out!

1 comment:

RU said...

FUN! It is a good skill to have and always wise to know how to safely handle a gun! Good that you are not itching to use it :) But smart to be prepared!