Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Away in a Manager

So in attempts to connect with some of the girls from my Sunday School class, I decided to participate in a small 6 week study called "Preparing Your Hearts for Advent". I mean, what better way to start the holiday season, than with a study of the Christmas Story. Six weeks is not a long time to commit, my good friend Amy would be there and it won't require much "homework". Well the study is rather in-depth and it does require a good couple hours of "homework" each week but this look at the Christmas Story has been so much more than just the birth of Christ and quite frankly, I am left speechless. We are 4 weeks into our study and have dissected passages from the first two chapters of Matthew and Luke. The author of this book has asked many thought-provoking questions that have stirred my soul. We have looked back into stories from the Old Testament, studied the genealogy of Mary & Joseph and have read the many prophecies that were filled by the birth of the Messiah.

The verse that has resonated the most with me is found in Luke 1:37:

"For with God nothing will be impossible."
This is the last sentence the angel of the Lord told Mary after having just delivered "news" that would change her life as she knew it. For me, this sentence is encouraging and gives me hope. I do know that with GOD anything is possible. Yet, how many times do I try to master-mind or control my own plans? Why do I worry about the small details when ultimately God has everything in the palm of His Hand?
Whew...I wasn't expecting to share all that and to think I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee. Anyways, I pray for Peace, Hope & Love for you during this Christmas season. Blessings to you all. And to all...a good night!

2 comments:

cathryn said...

What's Advent? No, seriously. What's Advent? :)

I've always kinda wondered how people balance between trying to plan and control one's life while at the same time having faith that everything is already planned and taken care of.

Seems like it would be easy to slip into a false sense of security or complacency. Isn't there a saying that goes, "god helps those who help themselves"? I think I've heard that before. But have also heard, "let go, let god". Is it tricky sometimes deciding which way to follow? Or maybe they're not mutually exclusive?

Anyway, your class sounds interesting :)

Terah Lynn said...

Cathryn, I'm not for sure what "advent" is either. I've only ever heard of an advent calendar. Websters defines it as the period including the four sundays before Christmas or the birth of Christ.

The "balancing" act is a daily process. Most of the times it's a constant struggle for me in trying to find the balance between living my life (day to day) and still having the faith or awareness that GOD is ultimately in control of everything.